Anyone have something to add for such a situation? Would putting Bella on anti-anxiety meds help? He used to wear a collar, but no longer has one. Consider providing the new cat with her own cat tree. If a cat fight won’t stop even after trying everything above, it’s time for incarceration. We are never fast enough to follow them and see what happens, but there is often a tuft or two of (his) fur on the floor afterward. Michele Continue until they can be together in the room without fighting. These articles might provide some insight as well: https://www.catster.com/cat-behavior/cat-screaming-what-it-sounds-like-what-it-means, I have 6 cats. The females have always been the savvy ones but it seems that every male cat we have had has disappeared probably from coyotes or owls which has always been awful for me to deal with. Right now I’m inclined to not feed Tigger again and to instead shoo him away, at least until he might be able to first stop being aggressive towards Cache, which I realize may never happen. You want to force proximity upon the two cats without endangering either of them. As a kitten the black cat got along with the calico. I have 2 female cats, they have been together for 3 years. The root cause will determine how you resolve your cats’ conflicts. This is an age where they could be fighting for territory again, so make sure it isn’t true fighting but indeed PLAY fighting – cats do mock fights as play after all. Very pretty. They escaped outside for 10min and ever since my older cat viciously attacks the young one. No spam! I have 2 bonded brothers that are not quite 2 years old. Winter weather hazards for feral cats … Four of them are the mama and her 3 babies, They are older cats now but suddenly everyone is fighting. Here is an article on how to prevent cat violence: https://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat-behavior-fight-cats-fighting-tips-how-to-stop-prevent-violence. If they’re 2yo they are still very playful as well. Anytime there is a fight, I know it’s him, and I have to go stop the fight. Make sure your trash cans are inaccessible and that you clear away any spots that attract small prey like mice. I find it inappropriate behaviour. If you don’t want to call animal control on these furry felines, there is still a lot you can do to keep stray cats away from your house. When she was a kitten, the black cat (Moonbeam) loved to wrestle her siblings until they were all exhausted. Right now I’m thinking, if Cache comes back, which he probably eventually will, I should probably simply give up on feeding Tigger all-together. The main thing to look for when cleaning is anything that may be a food source. Within hours battle began. You can use wire cutters to make spaces for your plants to grow through. No need to drench anyone…just a squirt or two at the offender. You can also use cayenne pepper, though the furry critters have a much harsher reaction to the capsaicin chemical found in it, so we recommend one of the less potent options. And he seems very wary of her for some time afterward. I love them, they are great cats very good cats, but problems between the girls. Cats however, are territorial, and feral cats may be even more so because this is the only home they have. The spray doesn’t do a thing. We have a beautiful home there that is at the edge of a neighborhood. I am not at all inclined to support/ feed Tigger’s excessive agression, and his scaring away of Cache! Do I leave them in the room alone for a short period of time and increase every dayor is it gonna be their new sanctuary until they stop hissing and growling at each other? If a stray cat … https://www.catster.com/lifestyle/well-adjusted-cats-cat-fights-aggression As long as neither cat hisses or growls or they make those awful screeching sounds they make (ever stepped accidentally on a tail? Does it sound to you like I’m seeing this situation correctly, or if not, might you have any advice? As always, preventative measures are some of the most effective tactics for keeping unwanted visitors away. Often the surprise of this stops them. Are they simply temperamentally unsuited, but stuck with each other due to one person’s total ignorance on animal needs and her inability to live with them? There needs to be scheduled – cats love schedules – play sessions – jumping, running, hunting, pouncing. I would take her on trips in the pickup truck back to Idaho to visit her siblings from time to time. If your main issue with stray cats is their mating behavior keeping you up at night, there’s a way to address this without necessarily getting rid of strays. Why do cats fight? Is there a solution or do I need to think about rehoming the worst offenders, Please contact your vet / behaviorist about these behaviors before considering rehoming. I change their litter box about every 2 to 3 days so that it’s very clean. We would consult your vet to find out what is going out with your kitty. My male cat is neutered and is about 4 years old. The black one screams when the other cat is around. Sprinkle it with catnip and put a towel with her scent on it. Definitely do not break this up! They all can come in or out. Repelling Cats from Your Garden Install a motion-sensing sprinkler to spray encroaching cats. Any substance that has a bristly texture works as ground cover to keep feral cats away. https://www.catster.com/cat-behavior/cat-fight-sounds-what-a-real-cat-fight-sounds-like Tell us: Do your cats fight? Even if you are a cat person, it can be very unsettling to look outside and see a cat in your yard that doesn’t belong to you! Eating and literbox habits are normal. I did the wrong thing by getting a female cat who is a year old to my existing cat. Hi all - My two cats Mal (female, almost 2 years) and Alex (male, almost 1 years) have started fighting consistently each night. Get tips and exclusive deals. Only use German Chamomile, the other chamomile (English ) is toxic to cats. At that point Repel cats from your plants, house, and yard with these easy home solutions. Here are some articles on how to bring your cat to the vet if he doesn’t want to and a mobile pet care option: https://www.catster.com/cat-health-care/how-to-get-your-cat-to-the-vet, https://www.catster.com/cat-health-care/mobile-pet-vet-mvs-pet-care, I have 3 female cats, 2 Savannah’s {F2 & F6} A Siamese, all 3 are about the same age The natural spray contains black pepper, capsaicin, and piperine… This includes gardens, bird feeders or other food sources, or a sandbox, which is basically a big outdoor litter box. I’m sorry I’m not much help. I will try some good advise and let you know. https://www.catster.com/lifestyle/how-to-introduce-new-cat-into-home It’s good to keep loaded squirt guns throughout the house for this purpose. A lot to throw at you, but I cannot take much more. Your email address will not be published. You could give both of them a break by giving one of them to one of your family members for a short amount of time, making them take a break from each other. Follow any of our natural ways of keeping strays away and your home will be free of these unwanted guests in no time! Use Critter Ridder Spray. She’s never been scratched or bitten. https://www.catster.com/cat-behavior/cat-yowling-what-does-it-mean The older one is the one causing the fighting by growling and hissing at the younger one, he runs away unless he starts the fight and that’s the only time he fights back, I already keep them separated and let them around each other from early morning to late afternoon, and during that time the younger one gets hissed and growled at. Here are some other articles that might provide good insight: And I’ve also clapped my hands. Never a problem.. We also have Eddie, 7, Calypso 4, Poe’s sister and newcomer Snowy, 5 months. Thanks for reaching out! Ive tried just about everything loud noises, separation as suggested (cage). These devices sense the presence of the critters and spray right at the unwanted visitors. They scatter when she rushes over to them so there is never any contact. These cats normally sleep together. There were no major fights between them. https://www.catster.com/cat-behavior/do-cats-get-lonely-do-cats-need-other-cats. I had a 5 year old neutered male named Toby and I have a 8 year old calico spayed female named Bella. Although this type of aggression is usually seen in males competing for mates, it can occur between cats of any sex when territorial conflicts occur. I do not know what to do because if this carries on, I will be asked to get rid of him or move, which I will not do either. I wanted to know if you found a solution or anyone reached out to you. Lynx and Moonbeam got along great for the first 3 or 4 years they were living together. Thumbnail: Photography by Tom Wang / Shutterstock. Unfortunately, the two cats were chosen from a commune of animals without the person doing the choosing have any idea of animal behaviour or needs. No luck. She ran and he chased. Cats are by nature territorial, even if the territory extends no further than the end of your couch. However, she still has these episodes where she gets freaked out by the other cats movements (usually after food and at night), and she goes in this primal mode and viciously attacks the other cat. They all get on very well with never a problem. Rub a towel over one, then rub the same towel over the second cat to mingle their scents. https://www.catster.com/lifestyle/how-to-manage-feeding-a-colony-of-feral-cats With true fights it is best to do some kind of reintroduction process. They fight and just generally didn’t get along. He moved under our deck, I caught him and had him neutered. As a bonus, it can be quite entertaining to sit on the porch and watch the cats approach. Get a large dog crate — do not use a cat carrier. They are also all harmless to the cats, so you don’t have to feel bad about scaring the strays away. They are sisters from the same litter. When I began letting them out in the Spring of 2016 Lynx became very aggressive and territorial toward Moonbeam. Everytime she sees him she attacks him. I have tried everything to get then to stop fighting, nothing works! One of the babies also meows Day and night for hours. Our family has always had cats who are both indoor and outdoor cats. Because of this, everyone in the complex knows he is my cat. From digging and messing up your flowers, to marking their territory with pee, strays can cause many problems. Shouting no doesn’t solve anything makes them more aggressive trust me I know. Thanks for reaching out! We suggest working with a cat behaviorist or asking your vet. I’ve been doing a lot of reading and have read so many different views an opinions. It’s been going to long now as he has scratched her ears resulting in bleeding and her hair being pulled out. Out of the blue, about a month ago, we heard a horrible screaming fight . Now they know not to bother the birds. Cats allowed outside live statistically shorter lives than housecats and they have the risk of someone mistaking them for a stray. What’s Mew At Catster: December 2020 Cat Events, Turn Excess Holiday Boxes into Hangout Spots for Your Cat, How to Stop a Cat Fight and Why They Happen. Feliway seems not to work. PLEASE HELP. They eat in separate rooms, they have 3 litter trays between them, they have a bowl of mixed toys, little horror goes for the valerian (which isn’t working on him) and catnip and the Burmese goes for paper balls and things to toss around and play with. From what I can tell, Alex is the aggressor. Alternatively, loud noises (an air gun, a can full of pennies or banging a pan) can be effective. Stray and feral cats can become a nuisance by fighting at night … https://www.catster.com/lifestyle/getting-involved-in-tnr But why does this happen. One of the most effective scents for scaring off cats (and dogs) is moth balls. It was very much ‘I want him because he’s pretty.’ (he’s Burmese.) Unaltered cats and sadly most strays and feral cats are not neutered will stay near the food source and begin to fight and mate. Have you moved, leaving your cats to establish new territories? After a long time (6 months to a year) using the pheromones and what not they finally started acting right again and the male even has started to sit in my lap again jumpstart a couple of days and they are fighting and the male is chasing the female and she’s going nuts. He learned after just one shot. https://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat-behavior-problems-tips-cats-aggressive-aggression He was a tiny scrap when this started he’s now a BIG BOY. Sep 19th 2019. I want to calm the fighting and have the older one accept the younger one so we don’t have to give him back to his previous owners. The moment it turns nasty is when the Burmese ends up in a corner, usually by me, with his ears down and a terrified look on his face. It took about 2 weeks to re-socialize her and for the most part, things have been good between to the 2 cats. In addition to coffee grounds, there are many different scents that cats detest. Discourage the new cat from adopting one of these spots by providing her with her own special spot. Thanks for commenting! You may need to play with them more, but they will live much happier longer lives inside a safe home. They share a bad with me and will sometimes groom each other. My sweet male Toby developed crystals in his bladder and even with treatment, I had to put my sweet thing down. All spayed. The most common causes for a cat fight are listed below: Male cats are often involved in inter-cat aggression, which most often occurs when a cat reaches social maturity between two and four years of age. You can also see that their claws are sheeted, their ears aren’t flat -pointed backwards – which would indicate aggression – and there’s no pilo-erection (hair standing up on end and backs arched to make themselves look bigger and more intimidating). You can also make simple cat repellent sprays by mixing any citrus-based essential oil with water. The black and white is incredibly loving with us humans and downright horrid to the Burmese, stalking him, leaping on his back and sinking his teeth into his neck until he squeals. We have tried 3 times to integrate. I did ask around to see if any neighbors knew if Tigger had an owner/ slave. One of the easiest ways to turn your property into a feline-free space is to make a homemade cat repellent spray to keep cats away. I have 2 new adopted cats that are for the time being separated from my ‘old’ cat. Can here anyone tell me why is this happening? Never step in between them or put your hand there. He jumps on her and this frightens her enough to make her scream . They’ll steer clear of any space where you place the chicken wire on the ground. (The other cat does not play. It may be that other non-neutered male cats are fighting him because he is in THEIR territory, And he may now be defending himself. I have kept them together at my mother’s house because I am here half of the time and in our own home half of the time. Clean up your yard so there isn’t anything there to attract strays in the first place. Much safer for your kitty and it will live a lot longer. I agree that your cat needs to be kept indoors. A new cat will almost always get more attention from you than your existing brood does. I adopted a “special needs” kitty with mild cerebellar hypoplasia who had been abandoned at 4 weeks old. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Thanks for the tips! They both were awesome kitties growing up together. Or the screams you hear are another cat in heat. It also means cleaning up after yourself whenever you are grilling food or having an outdoor barbeque. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Useful Tips To Make Your Everyday Life Just A Bit Better. Cache, apparently being a bit submissive, allowed Tigger to push him around for awhile, without getting into a “full-on fight….” that is until just this morning. Help….. Use a squirt gun to separate the two if they fight this works for my 2yo & 14 yrold. Use a spray bottle for all other fights. a skill they need as they get older. I have two female cats who have lived peacefully for 4 years together as best friends. Play with them, give them treats, and praise good behavior. I’m new to owning multiple cats and stumbled upon this article. I have 20 cats. I have two cats, one being 12 years and the other 2-3 years. When setting them up, make sure the instrument is facing whichever direction the cats like to hang out. Jealousy is more likely to be an issue with breeds like the Siamese that bond closely with their people, and they will need lots of reassurance that their place in your heart is secure. This is good. Plant a few of these around your yard, and your neighbors’ cats will stay away once they realize you have them. Stay informed! This all means that they are having fun and in that case you can sit back and relax. Do this every day for at least a week, alternating which cat gets crated. Integrating their smells can expedite a resolution of their conflict. ABsolutely agree , save their Lives , keep them indoor with access to a balcony or an outside secured patio. I cant send him to the humane society in my area because of the kill rate of black cats here. My mother’s caregivers have always made sure they are both fed twice a day and that their water is kept full. Coffee grounds work best if they’re used, as they have a stronger scent. I have 2 female cats, 7 and 3 years old, both spayed. I would close her up for a while, then closed the other 2 upstairs let the new kitty out, let her smell & get use to her new home, been doing this for almost 2 months, they can see & smell each other, the 2 Savannah’s are the problem F2 seems more aggressive, F6 seems afraid It’s a … If skunks are a problem in your yard, in addition to cats, you can employ some of the same remedies listed here. I have a 8yr old cat and a 2yr old cat. I love all my cats, and fear they w8ll seriously hurt each other. Love the advice on how to slowly introduce the cats using a dog crate. Suddenly a calico around 2 showed up. If you can, get another cat nearer the same age of the younger one. https://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat-behavior-tips-peace-in-a-3-cat-household. https://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat-behavior-fight-cats-fighting-tips-how-to-stop-prevent-violence Place it in a spare room, and put one cat (with a litter box and bed) in the crate, and the other cat outside the crate. Stray cats … Some cats are more troubled by this than others. I dont know how to stop this chasing as I dont like to see a hypervigilant cat even if it’s only for a few minutes. Within a month, the two cats should be able to coexist fairly peacefully. You would eventually get them back of course. Last time I checked the rate was about 93% and there are no “no kill” shelters that I know of in my area. Expand their world not limit it. How do you prevent a cat fight? I’ve asked everyone I know to take the younger Male, but no one wants him. Thanks for being there. Cats tend to prefer consistency over change. This spray has … What to do, they’re both spayed and neutered. Throw out orange or lemon peels, or sprinkle some citronella oil around popular areas. One of the easiest ways to turn your property into a feline-free space is to make a homemade cat repellent spray to keep cats away. Playing cats can make little meowing sounds occasionally but otherwise they’re silent (well, vocally at least). All rights reserved. Just have to shake it and they scatter. Affiliate Disclaimer: Tipsbulletin.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, Strategies to Deter Stray Cats from Your House, Keep Stray Cats Away from Your House with Repellent, Lay Down Chicken Wire to Keep Strays Away, How to Keep Feral Cats Out of the Yard with Coffee Grounds, Keep Your Yard Clean to Prevent Visits from Strays, Privacy Policy – GDPR – Medical Disclaimer – DMCA. If the cat is feral and puts up a fight, you risk being scratched or bitten. While these materials all work for outdoor areas, they are also ideally suited for indoor cats, as well. This morning they are looking at each other ready to have a go again. We recently moved and the fighting is much worse than ever. If the crate method doesn’t work, I do not know what we will do. Additionally, if you grow catnip in your yard, you could be making your yard very attractive to a stray cat… I used to wonder why he had little pinprick scabs on his forehead- well that’s from the girl scratching him up. I worry about him, and no, I would never let him in my home because I have two cats already and I no nothing about how this other cat would behave or treat my cats. How do you think the resident cats of that home think about all that? They are all fixed. https://www.catster.com/cat-behavior/cat-hissing-why-do-cats-hiss No luck. The female has suddenly begun reacting to sudden loud noises and other things that freak her out by chasing him at high speed and doing something to him that makes him shriek loudly. So it seems you could solve the whole issue by keeping him inside, and yeah you should be taking care of the food, water and litter boxes of your cats several times a day. All 3 cats are great Cats, BUT the they don’t get along, I did put the new kitty in a room If you want to keep cats away from your garden or other spaces, set up a little hideaway in an area far away from where you don’t want them. Through all of this, you’ll (unfortunately) probably need to break up a cat fight or several. If your cat grew up as the only cat, with little or no contact with other felines, he may react strongly when hes finally introduced to another cat because hes afraid of the unknown, he lacks feline social skills, and he dislikes the disruption to his routine and environment. http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/signs-cat-in-heat Also this house is large (two floors) and is built in the midst of a large aspen forest adjacent to wilderness. When the cats first arrived they were allowed out. Yes they are Fixed. I have tried the feliway, the product smelled like it was burning, so I don’t feel is safe. Hi! Now that you know what keeps cats away, you can use these techniques to cat-proof your property. Honesty, how do you expect an animal who has been locked up all day to be docile upon release? The cats will gladly hang out there instead of pooping and peeing in your beautiful flower beds or getting into other kinds of trouble. At that point, you can reintroduce them to the rest of the house. Required fields are marked *, You may use these HTML tags and attributes:
. Please try some of the steps within this article. Now there are three more who have been here over four years starting to go after the meek ones. I usually put the attacker in another room where she calms down. Neonatal Kitten Rescue launched the second Stray Cat Night Glow Strut from One Acre Cafe at 603 W. Walnut St., and the funds will go toward spaying and neutering stray cats within that … I have a 8 year female and took in a stray male last year. https://www.catster.com/cat-behavior/cat-screaming-what-it-sounds-like-what-it-means I’ve tried everything listed here, separating them, giving them plenty of space, 2 litter boxes 2 food and water bowls, perches and a cat tree. Thanks for reaching out. I am also having the same unnerving bizarre problem with my 2 cats who have lived peacefully the past 4 years. My 11 year old hated the smell of the plugs and hissed at them whenever he was near one. Outdoor cats get hurt and in trouble. I am sad and confused for them and don’t know how to make it better. Here's what to do. I tried putting him in a separate room, Feliway, even medications…nothing worked. https://www.catster.com/cat-behavior/cat-fight-sounds-what-a-real-cat-fight-sounds-like My question is this: Should I just let it go or should I stop the play fighting? If anyone has any other Ideas please let me know. The Stray Cats are a rockabilly band first formed in 1979 by guitarist/vocalist Brian Setzer (Bloodless Pharaohs/Brian Setzer Orchestra) with school friends Lee Rocker (born Leon Drucker) and Slim Jim … So I am not quite sure why this is so. I have 10 rescued stray or feral cats in my home. This often results in a cat fight. Snowy has been spayed, so I don’t think the hormone thing is coming into play. She felt extremely threatened, growling and hissing even at us, which was extemely out of character. It’s hard to see my fur babies love each other so much and one day turn after so long. https://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat-behavior-problems-tips-cats-aggressive-aggression They weren’t when they got along well. About 4 years old. Have you just introduced a new cat into the home? It is easy to prevent these furry felines from visiting without causing them any harm. This article explains some mistakes that cause behavioral problems: https://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat-behavior-problems-5-common-mistakes. If you cannot keep your cat indoors, you can try and … While the high-frequency sound these devices emit is unbearable to strays, it is undetectable to the human ear. If you don’t spay and neuter the cats on your property, soon they will be … You can keep your cat entirely inside, which will end the fighting. The bottom of the article provides a resource for a certified cat behavior consultant. https://www.catster.com/kittens/introducing-kittens-to-your-other-resident-cats This lasted off and on for about 2 weeks and then they settled right back down. They grew up together and played together but as soon as they hit 2.5 years of age, when Yoda want to play, Obi gets aggressive. I am hoping that they will adapt to their new much larger space and that they like it a lot. The younger one just recently moved to the house and isn’t neutered like the older one. The cat I’m “adopting” from my neighbor, named Cache, is spayed. This means no feeding any of your own pets outside, and keeping bird feeders in areas where cats can’t get to them. Stray cats tend to rely on humans—living close to them, seeking cat food and exhibiting friendly behavior like meowing or rubbing against legs. They were never really best buddies but they could cohabit and sleep next to each other until last week. So, the next time you make coffee, re-use your grounds by tossing them in your garden or any other area where curious cats have been hanging around. The tortie and lives on my bedroom. Broke it up, kisses and cuddles for the wounded, temporary ‘keep away from me’ for the fighter. With patience and a clear understanding of cat behavior, you should be able to achieve household harmony and any sort of a cat fight within a month or two. Each of your cats probably has a “spot” they call their own. At the moment I am taking turns with the cats locking them in a bed room. My problem is, he is fighting with other cats in the complex more than he ever has. Lastly, I have one that gets snooty when she is hungry. The b/w immediately got into a full scale fight and was clawed to bits, even the vet was surprised at his injuries.