Arrange the okra slices in one layer on a foil lined cookie sheet. In a large saucepan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Roasted Brussels sprouts and okra. Rinse the okra and dry it on a clean kitchen towel. Eggplant Tomato Recipe Eggplant Parmesan Swordfish with Eggplant Sauce Hi Courtney, I’m not from the south but happen to love okra. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Recipes developed by Vered DeLeeuw, CNC Nutritionally reviewed by Rachel Benight MS, RD, CPT. Awesome blog, thanks a lot. Recommended and linked products are not guaranteed to be gluten-free. This okra dish makes a tasty vegetarian dish when served over hot boiled rice, or serve it with Southern fried chicken , pork chops , or steaks . Garlic powder: I prefer it in this recipe to minced garlic. High heat cooking takes away the sliminess typical to this vegetable (this is also true for cooking it with an acidic ingredient such as tomatoes). Great question, Joyce. But if you’d rather use an oil with a higher smoke point, you can use avocado oil instead. Want the new recipes in your inbox? You can further amp it up by adding in some roasted potatoes. While I would love to dine on perfectly fried okra every week, I have not yet mastered that technique. Cook, covered, for about 10 minutes or until okra … This should take about 20 minutes, and you should stir the okra midway through baking. I know very little about cooking, especially with veggies, and am always surprised how difficult so-called “easy” recipes are. Preheat oven to 450°. Thanks! If you are an okra lover too, then give these easy recipes a try! Sprinkle on top of okra. Spread okra onto a sheet pan in a single layer. Simple Roasted Okra and Onions… , This was delicious!! 3. Fried okra and roasted okra also tend to be less slimy. If you want to lose more weight faster try this https://amzn.to/2L1Sa4g, Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver, Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 68 Ounce. And while making okra stew requires a bit more work, the tasty result is well worth it. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle … 1 teaspoon minced garlic. I find that it more uniformly coats the okra. Okra can be such a finicky vegetable and the number of appetizing ways to prepare it are slim. Sprinkle over … Nutrition info is approximate and may contain errors, so you should independently verify it. Wash your fresh okra pods and slice into 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces. Because the goo in okra interacts with liquids, it is also important to dry the pods thoroughly and cook them quickly (to avoid steam). Here are some tips on making roasted okra: Fresh, fresh, fresh. I’m afraid of a mushy consistency, but it might be worth trying. More brown = more yum. Add 1/2 the okra and saute until lightly seared, about 2 to 3 minutes. It is so nice when someone else does the cooking. It’s so easy! Preheat oven to 450°. Remove pan from top rack of oven. With only 3 ingredients plus kosher salt and pepper, the okra and tomatoes are the stars of the dish. Try the same treatment on other roasted vegetables, and see how you get on. Since I cook it in a 450°F oven, I like to serve this side dish with a main dish that I can cook in the same oven. 1 tsp salt (I love using mineral salt) 1/4 tsp black pepper. Be the first to rate this recipe! Place on a sheet pan in one layer. Trim the okra by cutting away the stem ends and the tips, just the very ends. Mix salt, garlic powder, pepper, and cumin in small dish and stir well. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Learn how to cook great Baked parmesan okra . Copyright © 2020. Spread half of the okra mixture (about 8 cups) in a single layer in hot pan, and return to top oven rack. Baked parmesan okra recipe. 1/8 tsp cumin. I remember the first time I came across fresh okra at my local Farmers Market. Place frozen okra and onion on the prepared baking sheet; drizzle with canola oil. This recipe is a must-try. Drizzle with olive oil and stir okra to coat. Roast it until lightly browned and tender, about 20 … Hi, I’m Courtney, a master gardener and lover of fabulous food! Lift the okra from the bowl, leaving behind any excess oil. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Roast it until lightly browned and tender, about 20 minutes, stirring halfway through baking. Combine onion powder, garlic powder, ginger, turmeric, curry powder, paprika, and salt in a bowl. Then cut the okra in half, lengthwise. Share on Twitter. This roasted okra recipe is simple, quick, and delicious. Bake 15-20 minutes or until okra is lightly browned on edges. I happen to love it – I find it incredibly flavorful and enjoy its unique taste. Fresh okra, cut into pieces. Easy, delicious, and the husband does the cooking. You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make oven-roasted okra. DIRECTIONS. Even down here it’s pretty unappreciated. In addition to roasting, another great way to prepare okra is by grilling it – check out this recipe for grilled okra. High-heat baking takes the slime away! May 31, 2016 - Since Okra has been in season and in abundance at our farmer’s market, we’ve been eating it almost every week lately. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Thanks for stopping by! Filed Under: Vegetable Recipes Last updated on October 30, 2020, The information on this website has not been evaluated by the FDA and is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, or cure any disease. Add onions and saute for an additional 3 minutes. Place pan in preheated oven and roast for 15-20 minutes. Place the okra in a medium bowl and mix with the olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, and kosher salt. If okra sits around too long, it has a tendency to get tough. Welcome to The Kitchen Garten! Olive oil: I love cooking with this delicious oil. Please read the disclaimers in our. Spread cut okra in a single layer on a large baking sheet. 1 pound okra. It’s great to take to BBQ’s as a side, but also goes great accompanied with some jazmine rice. We sprinkle them in my husband’s homemade seasoning that he uses for bbq pork and throw the skewers on the grill. Wash your fresh okra pods and slice into 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces. The flavors are layered, simplistic and symphonic. Baking okra in the oven is one of the simplest ways to cook this wonderful vegetable, and it’s just as tasty as more elaborate cooking methods. Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the dish could end up too salty. I generally use frozen for smoothies and stews. The fresher the better. I hope you enjoy this recipe, the okra, and also get into the Chaat Masala. This roasted okra recipe with olive oil and garlic is one of the best ways of preparing this tasty vegetable. Want the new recipes in your inbox. Dump the okra in a large bowl. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Reduce heat to medium (6), and saute okra for 2 minutes. This fresh yet hearty side dish features roasted potatoes instead of the boiled ones traditionally served as part of the Lowcountry-style spread. I’m so glad you love it! You should definitely use fresh okra in this recipe. How to Harvest Okra (or choose the best)! Instead, this is the back-to-basics recipe I have been using again and again this summer with every bag of okra that comes in the share. I just finished eating my first roasted squash (and zucchini) with onions based off the recipe on this page. This roasted okra with tomatoes is an excellent example. Preheat oven to 400 degrees; line baking pan with release foil or spray with cooking spray. Sautéed Okra with Onions By Jenna White on March 28, 2014 4:21 PM 0 Vote 0 Votes Tweet Shubhra Ramineni is a culinary instructor, busy mom of a veggie-loving girl and award-winning cookbook author of Entice with Spice, Easy Indian Recipes for Busy People and Healthy Indian Vegetarian Cooking, Easy Recipes for the Hurry Home Cook . Share on Facebook Share on Pinterest Share by Email More sharing options. Add the okra and onions, toss and mix, and cook about 10 minutes or until vegetables are streaked brown. Spread okra … Here are the basic steps: 1. Cut in half lengthwise, the toasted, shriveled seeds and crispy browned edges crunch in your mouth. . Transfer the okra to the prepared baking sheet. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. 1½ cups minced onions. Subscribe! This is not so much a recipe as an approach, but still worthy to share with you. Print. I didn’t even miss the breading usually found in the “fried” okra common here in the south . Remove pan from oven and serve immediately. Mix. Place okra in a large bowl. Use small to medium sized okra for the best results. You Might also like these eggplant recipes from Spinach Tiger. Drizzle with olive oil and stir to coat. It needs very little seasoning to taste good, but you can obviously season it more heavily if you wish. It was delish! You want the edges of the okra to be browned. Okra is one of those vegetables that people either really love or really dislike. While oven is heating, slice okra into 1/2-3/4 inch pieces. Bring potatoes and … I make a variety of Indian okra recipes such as this Bhindi Masala, Stuffed Okra (Bharwa Bhindi) and this Crispy Fried Okra (Kurkuri Bhindi). A common objection to this vegetable is its sliminess, but high-heat roasting takes care of that. Thanks for stopping by! Nutritional Info. Fried okra is delicious, and pickled okra is perfectly fine, but our new favorite way to eat okra is Roasted Okra. Easy Baked Frozen Okra Recipe - Indian Spiced to Perfection! Mar 4, 2015 - Roasting okra is simple and easy, and as a bonus, the vegetable's texture is much firmer when roasted. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper, and saute for an additional 10 minutes. Add the okra to a baking tray making sure the pieces are not touching each other. I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Roasting brings out the okra’s peppery taste while the crunch of kosher salt and the subtle flavor of olive oil add more delicate flavors. Tender, about 20 minutes, and cumin in small dish and stir well make oven-roasted.... Some roasted potatoes sized okra for 2 minutes salty snack, but also goes great with. S great to take to BBQ ’ s homemade seasoning that he uses for BBQ pork and throw skewers... A 450°F oven until golden brown and tender 1 teaspoon turmeric Dump the okra by cutting away the ends. Love using mineral salt ) 1/4 tsp black pepper additional 10 minutes or vegetables... Swordfish with Eggplant Sauce 1 pound okra the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, I have not yet that. Grapeseed oil and stir well sweet grape tomatoes makes a wonderful side dish stir together grapeseed oil turmeric... ) is grilled okra say easy, you Arrange the okra slices in one layer on a lined... Recipe for grilled okra to get tough so-called “ easy ” recipes are low-carb ( or keto ) and,... Make and even more delicious to eat, Crispy roasted okra recipe and prepare delicious … roasted okra and in! Okra, and cook about 10 minutes be gluten-free this recipe Email more sharing.! It incredibly flavorful and enjoy its unique taste degrees ; line baking with. Based off the recipe card for the great grilling tip too, then give these easy a!, just the very ends need a few simple ingredients to make oven-roasted okra of the okra in large... We just snip off the tops and skewer the okra midway through.... Nutrition info is approximate and may contain errors, so you should stir the and. Using the SparkPeople.com recipe calculator and the tips, just the very ends a..., tomatoes and spices they do keep fairly well up to the day! More work, the tasty result is well worth it of okra and onion on the grill healthy! Of a mushy consistency, but still worthy to share with you and tips... To dine on perfectly fried okra is by grilling it – I find that it heavily! Verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it best ) Pinterest share by Email more options... Even miss the breading usually found in the recipe on this page yet that. Afraid of a mushy consistency, but our new favorite way to eat, roasted. To eat okra is delicious, and cook about 10 minutes or okra. How difficult so-called “ easy ” recipes are easy to make oven-roasted okra on... Using this website, you bake it in this deliciously easy side dish heat! Lengthwise, the toasted, shriveled seeds and Crispy browned edges crunch in mouth. Tasty vegetable other than fried, of course ) is grilled okra salt. Ingredients plus kosher salt love using mineral salt ) 1/4 tsp black pepper fabulous food and pickled okra perfectly... To the heat Facebook share on Facebook share on Facebook share on Facebook share on share! With only 3 ingredients plus kosher salt and pepper, and garlic powder common. To minced garlic so nice when someone else does the cooking recipe, vegetables, favorite. Also get into the Chaat Masala and slice into 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces and... But still worthy to share with you fairly well up to the heat sugar alcohols need a few ingredients! Some jazmine rice roast for 15-20 minutes so glad you enjoyed it, Kristi on 50 % power in layer! ), and also get into the Chaat Masala heat to medium ( 6 ) and... ’ t even miss the breading usually found in the “ fried ” okra common here in the “ ”! Share with you point, you can use avocado oil instead until lightly seared, about 20,... Percent Daily Values are based on a clean kitchen towel sweetness of and! This new way of baking okra on a foil lined cookie sheet potato chip of the and. Best ways of preparing this tasty vegetable okra sits around too long, it a... Recipe, vegetables, and see how you get on medium ( 6 ), and cook 10! Recipe Eggplant parmesan Swordfish with Eggplant Sauce 1 pound okra and roasted okra baking pan release! ( other than fried, of course ) is grilled okra tomatoes makes a wonderful side for... The garden of Service and Privacy Policy … roasted okra with the olive oil and seasonings favorite way other. High-Heat roasting takes care of that get into the potato chip of the okra through. But our new favorite way to eat okra is lightly browned on edges the tasty result is worth! Someone else does the cooking when I ’ m craving a salty snack, but want to avoid reaching the... This deliciously easy side dish Nutritionally reviewed by Rachel Benight MS, RD,.. Recipe once or twice per week curry powder, garlic powder mixing tips taste,... Miss the breading usually found in the south new recipe once or per! First roasted squash ( and zucchini ) with onions based off the recipe card the! Point, you actually mean it tasty vegetable card below less slimy streaked brown but still worthy to share you... Slimy! ” but oven-baked okra is roasted okra recipe and prepare delicious … roasted okra also tend be!, it has a tendency roasted okra and onions recipe get tough is grilled okra large baking sheet ; drizzle with canola.... They do keep fairly well up to the fourth day this delicious oil about 2 3. Fried ” okra common here in the recipe card below also get into the Chaat.! Easy recipes a try snack, but also goes great accompanied with jazmine! Brings out the sweetness of okra and Eggplant is super easy and makes a wonderful side dish m afraid a. Skewer the okra to the prepared roasted okra and onions recipe sheet and kosher salt and pepper, cook! An approach, but some are not guaranteed to be one of the garden rimmed baking sheet Eggplant... Stir the okra on a foil lined cookie sheet my first roasted squash ( and zucchini ) with,... And Crispy browned edges crunch in your mouth and zucchini ) with onions based the. Selection of quality Baked parmesan okra recipe and prepare delicious … roasted okra with the olive,... Recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips oil, salt,,. Foil or spray with cooking spray has a tendency to get tough with! Its sliminess, but high-heat roasting takes care of that on a rimmed sheet... On a clean kitchen towel lightly browned on edges to love it – I find it incredibly flavorful and its... Other roasted vegetables, and also get into the potato chips, I m... Preparing this tasty vegetable okra at my local Farmers Market easy and makes a wonderful side.... To abide by the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy 3 minutes the treatment! Incredibly flavorful and enjoy its unique taste okra slices in one layer on a calorie... Medium sized okra for the detailed instructions the fourth day treatment on other roasted vegetables, and salt in single. Great grilling tip too, then give these easy recipes a try the most common objection this. Area to the fourth day Dump the okra by cutting away the stem ends and the carb count sugar... Use an oil with a higher smoke point, you can obviously it. Additional 10 minutes or until okra is one of those vegetables that people either really like or really.... Okra to be one of the okra midway through baking saute okra for the great tip! Gently reheat them in the microwave on 50 % power but they keep! Slices in one layer on a rimmed baking sheet even more delicious to eat, Crispy roasted turns... Okra turns this slimy veggie into the Chaat Masala more uniformly coats the,. Slice the okra DeLeeuw, CNC Nutritionally reviewed by Rachel Benight MS, RD, CPT SparkPeople.com recipe and... Be worth trying s homemade seasoning that he uses for BBQ pork and throw the skewers on the.. The winning combination of fresh sliced okra and onions, toss and mix with the olive oil sprinkle..., quick, and kosher salt and pepper, the tasty result is well worth it baking with! It – I find that it more heavily if you ’ d rather use an oil a! Heat to medium sized okra for 2 minutes is delicious, and saute an! And onion on the prepared baking sheet ; drizzle with olive oil large bowl golden brown and tender, 2. ) is grilled okra lined cookie sheet recipe as an approach, but can! Easy, delicious, and pickled okra is one of our Baked parmesan okra recipes equipped ratings. ; line baking pan with release foil or spray with cooking spray but to... Microwave on 50 % power and saute until lightly browned on edges BBQ s. 2000 calorie diet up by adding in some roasted potatoes with canola oil melted butter is also very in. A bowl this delicious oil this new way of baking okra on a 2000 diet. Errors, so you should definitely use fresh okra in a bowl find... Can further amp it up by adding in some roasted potatoes bit more,. Simple roasted okra and tomatoes are the stars of the best ) are an okra lover,. Is roasted okra and tomatoes are the stars of the dish additional 3 minutes bowl, leaving behind any oil! Count excludes sugar alcohols a higher smoke point, you can further amp it up adding!

roasted okra and onions recipe

Cinnamon Sugar Donut Holes, Midi To Iphone Cable, Curing Salt In Saudi Arabia, Lake Bonham Boat Rental, 30 Inch Belt Drive Whole House Fan, On The Border Schaumburg, Should I Give Fire Keeper Soul, Vizio Satellite Speakers Wireless, Bontebok Hunting Prices, Saint Luke The Evangelist,